The Government of Slovenia and the Slovenian Chess Federation under the auspices of the European Chess Union.
2. Venue, Date & Schedule
The championship will be held in Podčetrtek from May 17th (arrival date) until May 30th (departure date) 2020. The playing venue will be in the Sports Hall, next to the official hotels in Spa Olimia.
|Sunday||May 17||—||Arrival day|
|Sunday||May 17||19:00||Opening ceremony|
|Sunday||May 17||21:00||Technical meeting|
|Monday||May 18||15:00||Round 1|
|Tuesday||May 19||15:00||Round 2|
|Wednesday||May 20||15:00||Round 3|
|Thursday||May 21||15:00||Round 4|
|Friday||May 22||15:00||Round 5|
|Saturday||May 23||—||Rest day|
|Sunday||May 24||15:00||Round 6|
|Monday||May 25||15:00||Round 7|
|Tuesday||May 26||15:00||Round 8|
|Wednesday||May 27||15:00||Round 9|
|Thursday||May 28||15:00||Round 10|
|Friday||May 29||15:00||Round 11|
|Friday||May 29||20:00||Closing ceremony|
|Saturday||May 30||—||Departure day|
The European Individual Chess Championship is open to all players representing the Chess Federations which are members of the European Chess Union regardless of their title or rating. There is no limit to participants per federation. However, applications can only be sent by national federations.
– The registration deadline is April 1st, 2020. Prolongation of the registration deadline may be possible for some federations if a very special reason is presented as a justification for the delay.
– To ensure proper tournament standards, only ECU member-federations may present a complete official registration form (see website) and send it to the contact person before the registration deadline on April 1st, 2020. Incomplete registrations will not be accepted.
– Once the registration deadline expires, organizers reserve the right to refuse late registrations, or, in case of availability, a penalty fee of 100€ will be charged for each late registration.
– Players must pay the amount of 100€ at the moment of their registration before April 1st, 2020. This registration fee is compulsory and is considered as confirmation of participation. If the amount is not paid the registration will be considered invalid and will not be accepted. This payment includes covering the expenses of transport from Zagreb International Airport to Podčetrtek and back to the airport, accreditation, identification badges, refreshments for participants and other organization costs.
– Each coach or accompanying person has to pay the registration fee of 50€ if he or she wishes to receive the transportation services and the accreditation badges necessary for the playing halls and ceremonies.
5. ECU Fee
According to the ECU regulations, GM, IM, FM, WGM, WIM, and WFM are required to pay a fee of 65€/person, while other players have to pay 130€/person as the entry fee. ECU issues invoices only to national federations.
According to the ECU regulations (Art. B.9.5.1), the entry fee shall be paid by federations to ECU before or at the start of the competition. If the entry fee is not paid for a player until the end of round 2, this player will not be paired in subsequent rounds. The ECU fees must be paid to the account of the European Chess Union:
Bank: Credit Suisse, Postfach 357, CH – 6301 Zug Account number: 1835105-42
Holder: European Chess Union National Bank Code: 4835
BIC: CRESCHZZXXX IBAN Code: CH3604835183510542000
6. Travel Information
The organizer will provide transport services for all participants from Zagreb (CRO) International Airport to the official hotels – on May 16th and 17th as well as the departure transfer – on May 30th, free of charge. All travel information must be sent by e-mail on email@example.com not later than April 1st, 2020
The organizer can provide transfers from other airports listed below, prices on request:
– Ljubljana International Airport (60 EUR – both ways), approximately 2 hours driving,
– Maribor International Airport (30 EUR – both ways), approximately 1 hours driving,
– Venice International Airport (Italia) (120 EUR – both ways), approximately 4 hours driving and
– Graz International Airport (Austria) (50 EUR – both ways), approximately 1h 40 min driving.
Players and accompanying persons who prefer a private transport arrangement should indicate this at the time of registration. They will be fully responsible for any problems that may arise during their arrival or departure.
7. Hotel and Meals
– The reservation will be done on the “first come, first served” basis.
– All players and accompanying persons, including coaches, are welcome to stay in the official hotels of the European Individual Chess Championship.
– All reservations and payments for the official hotels must be made before April 17, 2020 (registration deadline) and only via the organizer.
– Accommodation with full board (breakfast, lunch & dinner) and other benefits like the use of relaxing thermal swimming pool, fitness studio and other organized activities,
per person per day costs:
|HOTEL||Single FB||Double FB|
|Hotel BREZA ****||94 €||79 €|
|Aparthotel ROSA ****||94 €||79 €|
|Apartments LIPA ***||89 €||74 €|
All hotels are located in walking distance to the playing hall.
Bank: Deželna banka Slovenije, Kolodvorska ulica 9, 1000 Ljubljana
Holder: Šahovska zveza Slovenije / Slovenian chess Federation, Bravničarjeva ulica 13, 1000 Ljubljana
IBAN Code: SI56 1910 0001 0000 463
SWIFT code (BIC): SZKBSI2X
Once the bank transfer is validated, the Organising Committee will confirm the assigned booking confirmation for all the rooms.
9. Qualifying & Prizes
|Rank||Prizes in Euro|
Best male and female junior players under 18 years old, born 2002 or later.
|Rank||Prizes in Euro|
Seniors born before 31.12.1970
|Rank||Prizes in Euro|
Best Female Player
|Rank||Prizes in Euro|
Special Prize (ACP)
According to the agreement between ACP and the Organizing Committee, there will be 5 additional prizes (1000€ each, 5000€ in total) for the 5 highest placed ACP Premium Members, who did not win a higher prize in the Championship.
Distribution of Prizes
*Under the current FIDE World Cup regulations, FIDE is the only body responsible for the qualification spots.
10. Tie-Break System
The order of players who have scored the same number of points shall be determined by applying the tie-breaking criteria according to the FIDE WCC regulations which apply to all qualification events and then according to the ECU regulations.
11. System & Rate of Play
The Championship will be played according to the Swiss system according to the ECU Tournament Rules and FIDE Rules of Chess. The playing time will be 90 minutes for 40 moves plus 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an increment of 30 seconds per move, starting from move one. The default time is 15 minutes for each round.
12. Additional Regulations
Flash photography may only be taken in the first ten minutes of each round. Only the players and arbiters shall be allowed access to the actual playing area.
Players are not allowed to enter the closed area of the top boards unless they play there themselves. As long as the game is in progress a player may talk only to an arbiter or to his opponent as permitted by the Laws of Chess.
Players are not permitted to eat at the chessboard during the games.
The ECU Dress Code is obligatory as in detail described in the ECU regulations, (shorts, caps, slippers, sun glasses, hats-except for religious reasons etc. are not allowed).
The ECU anti-cheating guidelines, the FIDE Code of Ethics and the ECU Fair Play Code are valid for all the European Championships and all players, arbiters, organisers & participants shall follow these regulations.
13. Appeals Procedure
Protests against the Chief Arbiter`s decisions must be submitted in written form to the Chairman of the Appeals Committee within one hour after the completion of the playing session.
The protest must be accompanied by the sum of 200 € as a deposit from the signatory.
If the appeal is upheld, the sum shall be returned immediately. If the appeal is refused, the deposit will be forfeited to the European Chess Union. The appeal has to be lodged by the player. The Appeals Committee`s decisions are final.
14. Arbiters & Appeals Committee
The names of the Chief Arbiter, Deputy Arbiters and the Members of the Appeal Committee will be announced by the ECU not later than April 20th, 2020.
15. Medical Service
During the tournament, medical service will be provided according to the ECU Tournament Regulations. Players have to insure themselves against health risks and accidents for the duration of the Championship.
16. Local Information
17. Visa Information
Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kosovo, Russia and Turkey are required to hold a visa and they are requested to contact the Organizing Committee before February 1, 2020 and apply on time to the respective Slovenian embassy. The Organizing Committee will provide the guarantee list and required confirmation of booking in the official hotel after the necessary payments. The Organizing Committee has no responsibility for late or incomplete applications. Citizens of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia are exempted from holding a visa if they are holders of biometric passports.
18. Contact information
Contact person: Ms. Nina Rob
Mobile: +386 41 686 746
Official web site: www.eicc2020.eu